Thursday, May 14, 2009

ക JAMES BROWN, PleasePleasePlease|Try Me|Nite Train|Papa's Got A Brand..|I Feel Good|Cold Sweat|Sunny|

James Joseph Brown (May 3 1933 – December 25 2006) originally James Joseph Brown Jr. was an American entertainer. He is recognized as one of the most influential figures in 20th century Popular music and was renowned for his vocals and feverish dancing. He was known and still is as "The Godfather of Soul".  As a prolific singer songwriter dancer and band leader Brown was a pivotal force in the music industry. He left his mark on numerous artists. Brown's music also left its mark on the rhythms of African popular music such as afrobeatjùjú and mbalax and provided a template for go-go music.



In 1955 Brown and Bobby Byrd's sister Sarah performed in a group called "The Gospel Starlighters". Eventually Brown joined Bobby Byrd's vocal group the Avons and Byrd turned the group's sound towards secular rhythm and blues.  After the group's name was changed to The Flames Brown and Byrd's group toured the Southern "chitlin' circuit" and the group eventually signed a deal with the Cincinnati Ohio-based label Federal Records a sister label of King Records. The group's first recording was the single "PleasePleasePlease" (1956). The single was a #5 R&B hit selling over a million copies.  Nine subsequent singles released by The Flames failed to live up to the success of their debut and the group was in danger of being dropped by King Records.



Brown's group returned to the charts to stay in 1958 with the #1 R&B hit "Try Me".  This hit record was the best-selling R&B single of the year becoming the first of 17 chart-topping R&B singles by Brown over the next two decades.  By the time "Try Me" was released on record the group's billing was changed to James Brown and The Famous Flames. "The Famous Flames" was a vocal group not a backing band contrary to popular belief.
 


During his childhood Brown earned money shining shoes sweeping out stores selling and trading in old stamps washing cars and dishes and singing in talent contests. Brown also performed buck dances for change to entertain troops from Camp Gordon during the start of World War II as their convoys traveled over a canal bridge near his aunt's house. Between earning money from these adventures Brown taught himself to play a harmonica given to him by his father and he learned to play some guitar from Tampa Red (who was "dating" one of the girls from his aunt's house) in addition to learning to play piano and drums from others. Brown was inspired to become an entertainer after watching Louis Jordana popular jazz and R&B performer during the 1940s and His Tympany Five in a short film performing "Caldonia".



*I FEEL GOOD*
Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good, I knew that I would 
I feel good, I knew that I would. So good, so good, I got you

Whoa! I feel nice, like sugar and spice
I feel nice, like sugar and spice. So good, so nice, I got you
When I hold you in my arms, I know that I can't do no wrong
And when I hold you in my arms, my love won't do you no harm

Whoa! I feel nice, like sugar and spice
I feel nice, like sugar and spice. So good, so nice, I got you
When I hold you in my arms, I know that I can't do no wrong
And when I hold you in my arms, my love won't do you no harm

I feel nice, like sugar and spice. I feel good, I knew that I would
So good! so good! I got you. So good! so good! I got you
So good! so good! I got you



During the mid-1960s two of Brown's signature tunes "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" and "I Got You (I Feel Good)" both from 1965 were his first Top 10 pop hits as well as major #1 R&B hits with each remaining the top-selling singles in black venues for over a month. In 1966 Brown's "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" won the Grammy for Best Rhythm & Blues Recording (an award last given in 1968). Brown's national profile was boosted further that year by appearances in the movie Ski Party and the concert film The T.A.M.I. Showin which he and The Famous Flames (Bobby Byrd Bobby Bennett and "Baby Lloyd" Stallworth) upstaged The Rolling Stones. In his concert repertoire and on record Brown mingled his innovative rhythmic essays with Broadway show tunes and ballads such as his hit "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" (1966).


During his long career James Brown received several prestigious music industry awards and honors. In 1983 Brown was inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. In addition Brown was named as one of the first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at its inaugural induction dinner in New York on January 23 1986. However the members of his original vocal group The Famous Flames, Bobby Byrd, Johnny Terry, Bobby Bennett and Lloyd Stallworth were not. On February 25 1992 Brown was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 34th annual Grammy Awards. Exactly a year later he received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 4th annual Rhythm & Blues Foundation Pioneer Awards. A ceremony was held for Brown on January 10 1997 to honor him with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. [wikipedia]


2 comments:

Pete said...

He is a talented guy wth unique voice. Now I can't stop humming the tune!

CheaHSan said...

Yeah great guy, think M Jackson picks up part of the dancing style from him. Have a feel good weekend Pete.